Discover the Potential of Popcorn Cakes
Easy-to-Make Popcorn Cake Recipe
Popcorn is the snack food of choice, but did you know it can be transformed into a delicious dessert too? Popcorn cakes are a combination of popcorn and marshmallow that are topped with candy, chocolate, nuts, or other toppings. It is the perfect mix of sweet and salty flavors. As a no-bake cake alternative, popcorn cakes are beginning to attract more attention.
Occasions for Popcorn Cakes
Popcorn cakes make great treats for holidays, birthdays, baby showers, graduations, school events, corporate gifts, teacher gifts, sporting events, and much more! The ability to customize the flavors and toppings makes it versatile and fun too.
- Use red and green toppings for Christmas and pastels for Easter
- Celebrate birthdays with your favorite candy bar flavor
- Get into the winning spirit with your team’s colors
- A corporate-themed cake can boost morale at work
- Decorate it in pink or blue for a baby shower or gender reveal party
The popcorn that is best for popcorn cakes is mushroom corn. It is larger, easy to coat, and more durable than butterfly kernels. While most popcorn cakes are made with plain popcorn, you can also try using caramel corn or one of the Signature Blends candy-coated flavors. Signature Blends come in sweet flavors, like Birthday Cake or Strawberry, and color-only applications, such as Navy Blue.
Variety of Toppings
The way you decorate your popcorn cake is totally up to you! Candies, chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, or cereal can all be used. Here is a list of ideas to get you started:
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Kit Kat®
- Gummy Worms, Gummy Bears
- Sour Patch Kids
- Banana Chips
- Fruity Pebbles™ or Cocoa Pebbles™
- Froot Loops™
- Lucky Charms™
- Cookie Crisp®
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate, White Chocolate, or Peanut Butter Chips
- Dark Chocolate
- White Chocolate
- Peanut Butter
Popcorn Cake Recipe
5 gal Mushroom Corn popped
1 bag #2096 Basic Corn Treat Mix
8 oz Coconut Oil or Butter
10 oz Water
4 cups Sugar (white)
1 bag (16oz) Mini Marshmallows
*For extra stretchy/chewy cake add 1 can sweetened condensed milk
*Signature Blends can also be added to give ‘cake’ color and flavor.
- Add #2096, water, oil/butter, and sugar to the cooker mixer (and Signature Blends if using)
- Turn on heat/motor switch
- Once the mixture is halfway through the cook cycle, add the marshmallows (and sweetened condensed milk if using)
- Cook to set point (approximately 275 degrees F)
- Turn off heat and turn on motor
- Add 5 gallons of popped corn and mix well
- Dump/scoop corn into pre-greased cake form and press gently to adhere popcorn together
- Repeat as needed keeping mixer on to keep remaining corn workable
- Allow cake to cool completely and decorate as desired
Plus, check out our recipe section for Birthday Cake Popcorn Cake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn Cake, and Cookies and Cream Popcorn Cake.
If you enjoy popcorn cakes, you’ll also like exploring more unconventional ways to use popcorn!
And if you’re ready to make your own popcorn cakes, start by consulting with one of our concession specialists. Find your nearest dealer or branch or contact us at 800-543-0862 or [email protected].