Ideas for Memorable Amusement Concessions
Amusement parks draw us in with the thrills of roller coasters, the splash of water rides, and the games that challenge and entertain us. All of that activity is bound to make us hungry and amusement concessions don’t disappoint!
The best part about selling concession foods is that you can make the classics unique to your location. Here are some ideas on how you can reimagine these top nine favorites:
1. Popcorn is universally loved, but does it stand out? There are ways you can add to the experience with gourmet flavors. From shake-ons to cheese pastes, glazes and corn treats, you can create an entire line of custom tastes. Or, choose to focus on one signature item that connects with an attraction at your park.
2. A hit with kids of all ages, cotton candy can be more than just the traditional pink or blue. Play it up by offering special seasonal flavor selections, like Fall Spice. Or consider how you can link it with a theme. For example, serve up tropical Piña Colada at the water park.
3. Many ice cream shops are known for making their own waffle cones but waffle makers are capable of doing much more! Use different flavorings such as Red Velvet to show customers something they can’t get anywhere else. Another suggestion is to try Fudge Puppies, a chocolate-covered waffle on a stick. It is great for those who want to eat on the go!
4. Along the same lines as waffles are the irresistible funnel cakes. There are toppings galore, which allow guests to customize to their tastes. Beyond that, you can make funnel cakes shaped in different forms, like Funnel Swirls or Funnel Fingers. Both are great ways to generate renewed excitement for a beloved treat!
5. If you’re bored by traditional fries, we’ve got a way for you to put a new twist on potatoes (literally!). Saratoga Swirls® take a potato and create a spiral that you place on a stick. It makes an intriguing visual display that catches the eyes of others. And it is surprisingly simple to make when using the Saratoga Swirls® Fry Cutter (#5280M).
6. Caramel apples are an ideal canvas for a large array of toppings. From nuts to sprinkles, chocolate chips and even spicy cinnamon, you can be creative with your presentation. You can also make caramel apples a sharable snack by using an Apple Hacker (#4185) to slice the apple into portions and then top with caramel, nuts, and whipped cream.
7. You already know that Sno-Kones® are available in a wide variety of different colors and flavors. Part of the fun is mixing and matching syrups to create a rainbow snow cone. But did you know you can make Sno-Kone® floats simply by adding soft serve ice cream? It is cool, refreshing, and very memorable!
8. Another food that lends itself well to customization is fudge. Swirled combinations like mint and chocolate are very well received, perhaps at least in part because of their eye-catching visual appeal. Toppings are also a good way to generate excitement, such as gummy worms on dirt cake fudge or sea salt on top of a salted caramel. The flavor ideas are endless!
9. Another staple of the amusement park crowd is hot pretzels. These may satisfy customers’ salty cravings, but you can expand on that with other complementary offerings. The most popular accompaniment is cheese, but you could also try other dips like pizza sauce or salsa to create an entirely different flavor experience. For a dessert-inspired interpretation, top with cinnamon and sugar (instead of salt) and serve with icing.
Fair foods are gaining more and more interest as they test the boundaries of what can be fried. We’ve seen everything from Oreos to pickles to macaroni and cheese! This is an opportunity for you to use your imagination and have lots of fun. We’d love to hear what your favorite amusement park food is (traditional or reimagined!), so stop by our Facebook page and leave us a comment.
And if you’re ready to put some of these ideas into practice, reach out to our concession pros. They can help you successfully incorporate these concession foods into your menu. Just call us at 800-543-0862 or send us an email with your information and we’ll connect you with a team member who can best assist you.